Photo Credit: recipe.com
Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice CasseroleTex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 6.9 ounce package chicken-flavored rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes (2 medium)
- 3 tablespoons canned diced green chile peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1. In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning package); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- 2. Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, chile peppers, basil, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole.
- 3. Bake, covered, in a 425 degrees F oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.