Photo Credit: smittenkitchen.com
easiest baked mac-and-cheese (Eliz's recipe)
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (I skipped this)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I’m a big fan of Cabot extra-sharp, in the purple wrapper)
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked.
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use one tablespoon butter to grease a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
- 2. In a blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.* Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- 3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- * Next time, I will puree everything without the milk, and then add it in. I think that will put a finer grind on the cottage cheese, so no lumps remain.