Photo Credit: weheartrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried basil or 3 tbsp chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c diced pt skip mozzarella (I use feta)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (I use cilantro)
- Bring 2 c water to basil. Add rice and lentils, cook for 20 min or till tender, not mushy. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again, place in salad bowl.
- In skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil over mid-heat: add onions, cook for three minutes.
- Add celery and carrots cook another 3 minutes. Add peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add vegetables to lentils and rice in bowl.
- Add lemon juice, basil, salt, cheese, parsley and remaining oil to lentil rice mix. Toss well to mix. Season with pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, serve at room temperature.
- Makes 8 servings of 1/2 cup.
- From Lighthearted Everyday Cook Book by Anne Lindsey
- This has been a summer staple for over 20 years.