Photo Credit: weheartrecipes.com
Beet Orange Salad
- Makes: 6 servings
- 6 medium beets
- 3 oranges
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Flaky salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1. Roast: Scrub beets, trim stems to 1 inch, leave tails intact. Settle beets in a baking pan. Add water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover pan with foil; slide into a 400-degree oven and roast beets until tender when poked with a fork, about 60 minutes.
- 2. Slice: When beets are cool enough to handle, snap on disposable gloves. Using a freshly sharpened knife, lop off tops and tails, slip off skins. Slice into 1/4-inch thick circles.
- 3. Arrange: Meanwhile, slice away north and south pole on one orange. Slice away peel and pith from north to south, exposing the naked orange. Slice into ¼-inch thick circles. Repeat with remaining oranges. Arrange sliced beets and oranges on a platter. Pretty, right?
- 4. Dress: Melt jam and butter in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. Pour in juice. Boil 1 minute. Stir in vinegar. Strain this dressing over beets and oranges. Let stand, 10 minutes. Scatter on salt, pepper and mint. Enjoy.