Photo Credit: jsonline.com
Dates with Orange-Scented Goat Cheese and Spiced Walnuts
- Spiced walnuts:
- 24 walnut halves
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai spice (see note)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Goat cheese filling:
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ cup soft goat cheese
- 24 whole pitted dates
- Place walnuts in a cold skillet and turn heat to medium. Add sugar and slowly cook about 2 to 3 minutes. Combine Thai spice and cayenne and add mixture to sugar and walnuts. Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is liquid and golden and coats the walnuts. Remove walnuts from skillet and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix orange zest into goat cheese, stirring to combine evenly.
- Stuff each date with about ½ teaspoon of cheese, to fill the date. Top each stuffed date with a walnut half.
- Notes:Dupee used Urban Accents Thai Heat. If your dates are large, you may be able to fill only 20.